UCP of NYC's Day Habilitation Programs focuses on continuing education, skills development, increased self-sufficiency, volunteerism and community integration for adults who have developmental and physical disabilities.
It is incredibly beneficial to know and be a part of your community, therefore one of the most important components of UCP of NYC’s Day Habilitation program is community integration. Individuals are encouraged to spend time each week engaged in activities within the community. Individuals work with staff to choose and design a unique set of activities to meet their respective needs and interests. These Individual Service Plan (ISP) activities vary, but often entail a mix of the following program categories.
- Continuing Education: Ongoing classes are offered in a variety of subjects, as well as GED prep classes and continuing education opportunities on college campuses
- Technology Training: UCP of NYC has a state of the art computer technology center (TechWorks) and offers learning opportunities geared to meeting the training needs of individuals with disabilities
- Volunteerism: Volunteers offer help and time to community schools, hospitals and nonprofits
- Health and Wellness: Learning opportunities include health, fitness and nutritional training, as well as access to UCP/NYC’s therapeutic pool and specialized gym
- Entrepreneurial Activities: With the help of staff, individuals develop their own entrepreneurial ideas and/or partner with local businesses on projects
- The Arts: Classes are offered in painting, poetry, media and performing arts and include regular exhibition opportunities
- Travel: Individuals have access to adult camp, travel and travel planning opportunities
- Horticulture: Participants receive instruction in basic horticulture and may participate in community gardening
- Community Excursions: UCP of NYC led excursions explore the diverse cultural and recreational aspects of the NYC community
- Spirituality: Individuals have access to opportunities to explore their faith and attend religious services
- Senior Activities: Seniors (Age 60 and above) are offered program opportunities specifically suited to their age group and interest
- General: UCP of NYC offers many activities solely dedicated to helping promote self-sufficiency and increased independence
UCP of NYC operates Day Habilitation programs based in Staten Island, Manhattan, the Bronx and Brooklyn. All are accessible to nearby public transportation and door-to-door transportation is also provided for those unable to utilize public transportation.
Day Habilitation programs operate year round, Monday through Friday, with varied hours of operation. Generally, programs run from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. daily and our Manhattan facility offers an Evening Habilitation program from 4:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m.
If you are interested, please contact UCP Project CONNECT to learn more.
UCP Project CONNECT